I am very proud to have been selected as a finalist for a National Award.
I have been selected as a finalist for the 2019 AusMumpreneur Awards in the Rising Star Category.
The AusMumpreneur Awards presented by AusMumpreneur and The Women’s Business School celebrate and recognize Australian Mums in business achieving outstanding success in areas such as business excellence, product development, customer service and digital innovation. The awards are designed to recognize the growing number of women who successfully balance motherhood and business in a way that suits their life and family.
Here's a little about me and how I started my Capra Designs journey:
An obsession for plants and a love of craft and design is what inspired my product range. However, it was becoming a mother that inspired me to launch my business.
Firstly, I wanted to be a positive role model to my son and show him that you can do anything you dream of. I had always dreamt of being in a design field and had an innate creative and design ability but never had any design/art education to back it up. For this reason, I always felt like an imposter in the field of design and creativity. As a role model and as a mother I was inspired to overcome these fears and take the leap.
I resigned from her 9-5 job as a Marketing Manager while on maternity leave to pursue my passion in design. I launched Capra Designs with my partner one month after my son Banjo was born (less than 4 years ago).
With only $3000 capital, we have since grown Capra Designs from a craft hobby into a business. The business now operates in Australia and USA.
Capra Designs products have been featured in all major Australian homewares magazines and on renowned social media accounts such as The Design Files and Design Milk.
It can be challenging to run a successful business whilst raising a family. The advice would give to others thinking about starting their own enterprise is:
- Self doubt will be a daily rollercoaster and is partly fuelled by the isolation of entrepreneurship. Surround yourself by a community of likeminded people.
- Don’t forget to have fun! You began this journey because of a passion. Don’t lose site of what you love about what you do and enjoy it.
- Don’t let perfection be a road block. It’s better to start and work at making something better rather than never starting.
- There isn’t a secret guide book that everyone else is following. They’re just being brave and vulnerable and giving it a go.
- Do not undervalue yourself!
Read more about the awards at www.ausmumpreneur.com.